Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota
Broken Grounds Church sends teams and support to the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota throughout the year. We serve the Native community by doing various building projects, cutting wood for the elderly, and food distribution. Our team goes as representatives of hope and reconciliation seeking to be the hands and feet of Jesus to our Lakota brothers and sisters. Our goal is to build relationships with tribal members on the reservation, and to share God’s love in practical ways to impact the physical, emotional, and spiritual needs on the reservation.
You can help us make a difference on the reservation in the name of Christ by clicking the DONATE link below.
Facts About Pine Ridge
- Pine Ridge Reservation is the poorest county in the United States.
- Rapid City, South Dakota, is the nearest town of size (population approximately 57,700) for those who can travel to find work. It is located 120 miles from the Reservation. The nearest large city to Pine Ridge is Denver, Colorado, located some 350 miles away.
- 97% of the population lives far below the U.S. federal poverty line with a median household income ranging between $2,600 and $3,500 per year.
- There is no industry, technology or commercial infrastructure to provide employment for its residents, contributing to its 90% unemployment rate.
- There are no banks, motels, discount stores, and the one grocery store of moderate size is tasked with providing for the entire community.
- There is a 70% high school dropout rate.
- The average life expectancy on the Reservation is 47 years for men and 52 years for women.
- Teenage suicide rate is 150% higher than the U.S. national average.
- Infant mortality rate is the highest on this continent, and about 300% higher than the U.S. national average.
- There’s an estimated average of 17 people living in each family home, a home that may only have two to three rooms. Some Reservation families are forced to sleep on dirt floors.
- Over 33% of homes have no electricity or basic water and sewage systems, forcing many to carry (often contaminated) water from local rivers daily for their personal needs.
- At least 60% of homes on the Reservation need to be demolished and replaced due to infestation of potentially fatal black mold; however, there are no insurance or government programs to assist families in replacing their homes.
- Weather is extreme on the Reservation. Severe winds are always a factor. Summer temperatures reach well over 110 degrees and winters bring bitter cold and can reach -50 degrees below zero or worse.
*Statistics from: https://friendsofpineridgereservation.org/about-pine-ridge-reservation-and-foprr/statistics-about-pine-ridge-reservation/
Support This Mission
Make a donation to the Pine Ridge mission.
Renewed Hope Ministries, Murphy, North Carolina
Broken Grounds Church Supports the mission of Renewed Hope Ministries in Murphy, North Carolina www.renewedhopemurphy.com Our nation is facing an epidemic of addiction and chemical dependency that is unprecedented! We believe that hope is restored and healing is found in healthy community where faith is celebrated, relationships are built, and accountability is present. Renewed Hope provides this type of environment in a private, residential setting where men live and recover during their 12 month program. Broken Grounds supports Renewed Hope by sending teams throughout the year to help with various work projects, donating food and clothing, and providing counseling support through our 180 Institute curriculum.
If you would like to join us in providing hope to those recovering from addiction at Renewed Hope, please click the DONATE link below.
Support This Mission
Make a donation to Renewed Hope Ministries.
The 180 Institute incarceration diversion program was founded in 2016 by Broken Grounds Church Pastors, Herschell & Charity Hargrave. As an alternative to incarceration, the program serves adult clients experiencing behavioral, emotional and relational challenges. Locally, we partner with Holmes County Court Systems, and Adult Probation Department to provide life coaching to private and court ordered individuals. Our community groups focus on building assets for resilience, and acquiring the behavioral and social skills necessary for success. We mentor and build relationships with program participants over the course of 20 weeks. Many of our program participants experience a variety of challenges including financial difficulty.
Partner with us today to provide a scholarship to a program participant by clicking the DONATE link below.
Support This Mission
Make a donation to 180 Institute.
We Are Broken Grounds Church!
It is an amazing adventure to step out in faith and offer the hope and healing of Christ. We believe in transformation of the whole person; physically, emotionally and spiritually whether it is in our own backyard or anywhere on the globe.214 West Jackson Street
Millersburg, OH 44654